Thursday, October 30, 2008

Made it to San Diego

Of course, I didn't bother to pack Tuesday night; I went to bed about 10:30 or 11 pm and got up to pump at 3am, as usual, and just stayed up - I went up in the attic and got a suitcase, got my clothes out of the dryer and packed in the closet so I'd have some light. I put off my shower until the last minute because I knew I'd wake B.

We left about 5:40 am yesterday to go to the airport and got there just before 7am. My plane left at 7:50, but they let me check my bags at curbside. As usual, I used my military ID as my picture ID, and the guy asked me if I was on orders, which I am, though I didn't have a copy of them with me (B took the printer up to the guys in Durham, so I have no way to print right now). The baggage guy was fine with that and got me a waiver so I didn't have to pay the $15 for the first bag!

There was NO line at Security (note to self... fly American from here on out - they're terminal is MUCH better!!). They did question me briefly about the breast pump, but when I told the guy what it was, he waived me on through!

The flights were long and there was no time to pump between them - I got off the plane in DFW and walked the length of the terminal - actually had to take the skyline tram to get to the next gate - and immediately got back on another plane. As soon as the "Fasten Seat Belt" light went off, I took my pump and headed for the lavatory. I only pumped for 10 mins, just to relieve the discomfort, but there was a line of people waiting for the lav when I came out. Oh, well, sucks to be them!!

The hotel sent a shuttle to get me from the airport; the hotel is adequate, nothing spectacular but the view of the bay is nice.

They're doing a lot of construction on the front, which is annoying, but I guess it's a slow season around here right now, and they're taking advantage of that.

I walked down the sidewalk in front of the bay and decided to call Cheer Smurf. She told me to get on the ferry to Coronado and she would meet me at the dock. We hung out until about 9:30pm, having drinks, walking and talking - she's just like I thought she would be - straight forward and funny as hell!! We had a great time and she drove me back to my hotel where I crashed, since I'd been up for about 22 hrs at that point!!

I slept until nearly 9am this morning, and then Cheer called, wanting to go get breakfast. She picked me up here at the hotel and we went back to Coronado - we ate at a little cafe that served huge omelettes and then walked for a while. The island is SO expensive, but it's absolutely gorgeous - sucks to be her!! LOL

M called while we were hanging out - the OB appt was this afternoon and she is growing again - fundal height was 34cm and all looks great. They scheduled the induction for 6am on Tuesday the 18th, but we're both hoping that the Doodle-bops will choose to arrive on her own either Sunday or Monday. M is about 2cm dilated so far...

Cheer had to go upstate after lunch, and I took a shower here back at the hotel. Sweetheart Smurf came in from inland SD about 5pm and picked me up and we went to this really cool 6-level outdoor mall. We bought candy, I picked up a neat Christmas gift and some baby clothes from Gymboree - not for the Doodle-bops (surprisingly enough) but for Harmony Smurf's little ducky. Sweetheart dropped me back off about 7pm and I went across the street to Anthony's Fish Grotto for dinner.

The conference starts tomorrow at noon so I'll have to find my way to the convention center; I think it's supposed to be about a mile from here... hopefully I won't get lost!! Everyone that knows me knows that I'm directionally challenged!