Sunday, December 16, 2007

It's been a while -

- since I've posted... not that anything has happened really. Nothing earth shattering that is, though I've certainly been busy.

I came home from work the day after Houdini died and Middle Child was waiting for me... "where's my Houdini?" was the first question he asked. I had my hands full so I asked him to give me a minute; I put everything down and took a deep breath, took the little box I had placed him in and went into Middle Child's room. "Is he in there?" he asked... now, stupid me, somehow I was thinking "he found out that Houdini died and he's already recovered" - don't really know why I thought that, except I was holding a small cardboard box with the lid all folded shut tight and I couldn't think of a reason, I guess, that I would have a live critter boxed up like that - but then, I don't think like a 13 year old and I had information that he did not. I handed him the box and he plopped it into his lap, pausing to complete some maneuver on the computer, then reached down to open the box. I placed my hand on top of the box to stop him and said, "No." He looked up at me, "huh?" I knelt down in front of him and said, "you don't want to open the box?" Of course he comes back with "why not?" I started to cry at this point and I said only, "I'm so sorry, baby." He started shaking his head back and forth and saying, "no, no, no, no" and then he burst into tears. I held him until he calmed down and then asked if he wanted to bury him in the yard. I dug a hole under that huge tree that's right out front - had to use the pick-axe to get thru the tree roots, but I was determined to bury the fur-baby right where my son wanted him buried. He's had a few episodes since then where he just walks up to me, puts his arms around me and starts crying - but all in all, he's doing alright. I promised him that when Binki and Twinkle have a baby (they've been REAL chummy since I took Houdini out of the cage), I will NOT make him get rid of it - male or female, I will spay/neuter it so the inbreeding isn't an issue and he can keep him/her. We also had a long talk about positivity and visualization, which has helped him as much as it has helped me, I think.

On a positive note, I did call F'ville to check on the shih-tzu - the owner gave Benedryl thru the night and she was doing fine the next morning; a bit sluggish (not a surprise really with all the Benedryl she was receiving) but no further reaction, so that was a load off of my heart.

We're still waiting on the results of the testing done on the fetal tissue obtained from R's D&C; yesterday was 2 weeks, so today I sent her an email asking her to call her doctor and see if the results are back; I may be paying for the testing, but no one is going to call me or send me a copy of the results. M is waiting to hear what's going on so that she can get her testing done. I think, at this point, it's a "given" that we won't be doing anything before Christmas, but we are all ready to get started as soon as we get the tissue results (assuming, of course, that they do not find a significant genetic problem there). M can get all of her stuff done in one day - the blood work, the saline ultrasound, the "education" session - and as long as we get the OK from the RE, there's just the insurance to take care of. I know with R, that took a few months to get in place - hopefully we can get it done a little more quickly this time since we'll know what companies to go with - I know one of the issues last time was finding a company that would do a disability policy that did not exclude pregnancy - but now we know who to go to for that, so it's a non-issue... or should be. M has already checked with her health insurance about adding a maternity rider to her policy but she said she was having trouble figuring out what it covers, what has co-pays vs deductibles, etc. I guess maybe she was on the website... I told her that she should give them a call and tell them that she is probably going to be adding the rider and needs the information - I'm sure there's some type of "exclusion" period to insure that women don't add it AFTER they're already pregnant, but I wouldn't expect that to be very long; same with the disability policy - it has to be in place BEFORE she gets knocked up.

I'd love to be able to transfer in February... but that may be a little unrealistic given the insurance stuff. She can get cleared to go right after Christmas, as long as we have the test results back; I did talk to our coordinator about M's IUD, but there's no waiting period because of it... she can get pregnant with her first cycle after it's removed. Of course, I also don't know how long it takes after you remove an IUD before you have a period - if it's pretty quick, then we could conceivably transfer as early as 3 wks after it's removed. However, I'm not going to hold my breath - for some reason February "feels" good to me - but I'm thinking "late February"... but any time this spring will thrill me to no end.

We've been surprisingly busy at work - apparently the girls have been getting in trouble for not making their phone calls - they have to schedule appointments for all pets that are overdue, and then they call and inform the owners when to show up... surprisingly, many of them do!! At any rate, we've been very busy for the last week. I have to work tomorrow and then I'm off until Dec 26th (well, except for the staff meeting on Weds, which of course got scheduled on my PTO day - though I think because I'm officially on vacation, I could not show up, but I think I should go.... it will look much better if I do, kwim?); we leave for New Orleans on Thursday -- I'm really looking forward to that. We agreed to leave our laptops behind, so that will give us some "real" time together. I'm looking forward to it, though I'm sure I'll have moments of "internet withdrawal"! LOL

I guess that's about it. We're having a lazy, lazy day today and B wants some popcorn :) This morning he had me remove the big mole that was in his left armpit - he couldn't get in to the dermatologist until the end of February and it was really bothering him - so now he's playing "invalid"! He's so silly...